Saturday, August 11, 2012

Doily Shoulder Adornment

Originally I wanted to make a top like the one picture above by Magic Horse. I have a vintage suitcase filled with bits of lace and beautiful doilies and linen squares of history.
As I got to working on the piece, trying to choose which I liked best and how to make all of the lacing come together.
I got an idea from MaryJane's Farm magazine to cut a hole in the top. I draped it over the dress form and this is what happened. I loved it so much that I couldn't go any further.



If you would like to purchase this one, it is listed on my Knitting Architect etsy store, but if you would like to make your own...

Basic Instructions

1. Find a large doily, or crochet one of your own.

2. Cut a hole out of the center big enough for your head to fit through, not too large as crochet does stretch a bit.

3. If you know how to crochet, clean up the edges and use the thread from the center section you cut out to unravel. Using this, attach the yarn to the neck edge and crochet a finished detail around. There are a number of stitches you could use to make it very interesting.

3b. If you don't know how to crochet, I suggest stitching the edge with a zigzag stitch using a pretty fabric edging.

No comments: