Monday, August 13, 2012

Affordable Wool Yarn to Dye with Kool Aid

The first part of this post is the cheap upcycled yarn part. If you or someone you know likes to go to garage sales, have them on the look-out for unfinished hand knit sweaters like this. My mom found me this one at a Minnesota garage sale for $3.00. If you have bought even the most affordable skein of yarn lately, you know that 100% wool is at minimum $8.00 for 4 oz.
A lot of knitters are not that into the sewing part and just do not get past this final phase of sweater making. The first thing to do is unravel all of this valuable wool.
Here I am dying the wool with Cherry Kool Aid. First you dampen the wool, then add it to a Kool Aid bath. The more you add, the brighter the color. I haven't tried setting the dye with vinegar yet, but maybe when my sweater is done, I will do one more dip.

I heat up the mix until the water runs clear or almost clear. Isn't this amazing?

Finished product in low light.

No comments: